An abacus, which is also known as a calculating device, is a tool to help in calculation with beads that slide across on rods. An abacus can be split into two rows with the help of “Answering Bar”
• The top row is also called upper beads, sky beads or heaven beads, etc. has the value of “Five” at the unit place, “fifty” at ten’s place, “five hundred” at a hundred places and so on.
• The bottom row is also called lower beads, earth beads, ground beads, etc. each bead has the value “One” at the unit place, “ten” at ten’s place, “Hundred” at hundred places and so on
An answering bar divides the value of the beads in the upper or lower place.
Apart from the rows, the abacus has different columns also. Each column signifies a place value such as tens, hundreds, and so on. The amount of place values varies depends on the number of rods taken in abacus.
The abacus is used to teach children arithmetic. An abacus tool allows children to perform basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. As children progress in learning the abacus, they can learn long division and using the operations with negative numbers.
Besides enhancing the overall comprehension of mathematics, the abacus offers other important benefits.
What are some other benefits of the abacus?
• A great visualization tool
• It enhances better and faster calculating skills
• It improves problem-solving abilities
• It Improves focus
• It teaches clearer logical reasoning
• It enhances photographic memory
• It provides a solid learning foundation for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Math Genie’s main tool is the abacus. The teachers focus primarily on teaching children operations using this tool because it helps develop the student’s abilities to complete mental math.